Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pin 2003-2008

It's a sad day. I've literally just found my pet fish Pin dead. I'm gutted.

My housemate Roy text me when he got in very late on monday night and said, 'Your fish is dead.' No remorse or anything, I thought he was joking. I feel a strong sense of neglect because it has taken me until now to find him floating in a plastic cup beside the remaining 3 fish in the 122 household. Actually gutted.

Pin has been with me since the summer of 2003. I remember it clearly, Joy, Carly, Lynsey and I were all working in a wee cafe in Lurgan and this particular day when we all finshed at the same time we decided to head to Jolly's pet shop to purchase new friends. The girls weren't very lucky with their fish as they all died within a few months but Pin was a trooper.

I'll treasure those sleepless nights when I used to watch him swimming about his bowl, wondering what he's thinking about in those 3 or 4 seconds before he'd forget. He will be missed. I'm off to flush him down the toilet while singing The Little Mermaid, Under the Sea.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish.

People who don't have fish don't understand how important they are to us.

Ellen Wright said...

it's like i've lost a friend. thank you sarah.

Hutch meister said...

he looked like a happy fish... sad times! im so sorry for your loss ellen. time is a healer!! keep the dream alive....

Anonymous said...

plenty more fish in the sea

billysetsfire said...

Possibly the greatest blog post ever though I do feel bad about the fish..

Anonymous said...

Why is he in a plastic cup?

Ellen Wright said...

well i had to use something to 'fish' him out and that just seemed to be an easy, quick option