Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Amazing Grace

I had the priviledge of going to see the movie preview of Amazing Grace on Monday night with the U105 crew (I love my job). To be honest it's probably not my type of movie, too thought provoking or something ha, but I really enjoyed it. Although I didn't know much about the slave trade and the work William Wilberforce did to get it abolished I somewhat related to him....

The story, based on the life of antislavery pioneer Will Wilberforce, who, as a Member of Parliament, navigated the world of 18th Century backroom politics to end the slave trade in the British Empire. John Newton, a confidante of Wilberforce who inspires him to pursue a life of service to humanity. William Pitt the Younger, England's youngest ever Prime Minister at the age of 24, who encourages his friend Wilberforce to take up the fight to outlaw slavery and supports him in his struggles in Parliament.

Elected to the House of Commons at the age of 21, and on his way to a successful political career, Wilberforce, over the course of two decades, took on the English establishment and persuaded those in power to end the inhumane trade of slavery. Go him!!!

You really have to see the movie to know what I'm talking about but it made me think about how we, as christians, try to get people to see who God is and to learn the right from wrong and just how hard it can be. It's just so sad, even today there are still an estimated 27 million people live as slaves around the world!

Its out in cinemas on March 23rd, check it out...

No comments: