Monday, March 12, 2007

Brutal Honesty From A Young Adult

A friend told me recently to check this blog out on the ignite website, so I'm ripping it off and putting it here., I hope they doesn't mind.

Well, Here it is...

I Go to church...yet I party,

I say a prayer...yet I scream obsenities,

I sing to hymns...and shake my ass to hip-hop,

I reach out to people who need it...I reach out for a towel when I'm piss drunk puking my guts up,

I've read the bible... I've read Cosmo,

...After looking at that list... I look like some bipolar, hypocritical jackass.


But its all true, and I don't go to church to be fake, or meet people, I go because it's a place where other people or 'only humans' can go, to be a part of a group of not-so-moral minds, with one common goal...to have a better understanding and grow as a community under the name Jesus Christ.

I've been to A LOT of churches, a lot of youth groups, with many different youth pastors...most of the time, finding the same thing time and time again...(in the moviephone voice)'If you give your heart and soul to Jesus Christ, and accept him as your Lord and Savior, you win..........(drum roll please)......ETERNAL LIFE!.... and then there's the small print..."you must agree to living your life 110% devoted to Jesus Christ, be nice to everyone, never hate your life, always volunteer, be charitable, never curse, give to the needy, love life...love yourself, love jesus..."

It's not so much that Christianity isn't about all those things, but throwing it all out there at once... is like interviewing for a job in india... You've got a lot expected of you but you aren't gettin' *^%$ in return... I could be totally off pitch here... I would be more than happy to listen to any other opinions that might be out there.... Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to continue living the life I'm living without the judgement, which is a possibility, but I also think I have a pretty legitimate 'excuse'....

I call them my mentors, you might know them by other titles such as, minister, pastor, journalist, teachers...all leaders in the church i attend... Every single one of these people, are aware of how my friends and i live my life...but unlike what you would assume, these people don't lecture me, force their personal beliefs on me, try the good ol' intervention, or excorcisms...no...not at all... in fact... they do the exact opposite, they invite me into their homes, not to discuss my life's problems or religion, but to get together as friends and buy paperview movies, and play uno, and eat really really good homemade taco soup, they ask us over and over again to babysit their children...that's right they trust us with their kids...and then i realized... my idea(a common one) of christianity was all wrong...One of the main focuses, i believe, is not to make everyone the same, or follow all the same rules, or believe the same things...but maybe to express love to those who are least expected to be loved, to give a dollar to someone who is expected to waste it, but to at least have faith in them to use it for what they need, and maybe having that faith alone will show them something more than lecturing or preaching....maybe knowing that someone in this world is rooting for you is enough to give you a chance, and the drive to take that chance and run with it.

"He who is without sin among you, may cast the first stone"-John 8:3-11
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," - Romans 3:23


Thought provoking eh? I like it... I don't think the girl who wrote it was celebrating the fact she sometimes gets drunk. She was just being honest and revealing what her life is like. She was opening up and letting everything out. Maybe hoping for some answers. I think this girl has said some things which are very important - actually I think the way they are said express some important things ... so one question to anyone who is uncomfortable - is your discomfort an ethical or a spiritual discomfort? And which answer do you think Jesus cares more about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is actually one of the best, most thought provoking blogs I have ever read. I love its brutally honesty yet deep message.. I think its amazing that Gods working through this person without them even being that aware of it.